AUTUMN LEAVES, MELTING MARSHMALLOWS & NUTELLA HOT CHOCOLATE RECIPIE



Happy October everyone! The month that is hypothetically full of falling leaves, spiced beverages, pumpkin patches, warm scarves and the last irrelevant month before Christmas prep can begin. I can just hear my friend Jade screaming at me that it's too early as I type this, but what the heck, it's true!


I say hypothetically because realistically, I know October is just another month in the year for most people who maybe work lots, or don't live somewhere where every day gets colder and colder preparing you for the changing seasons. Or maybe you can never find the time do fit in all the cosy activities Pinterest makes you feel like you have to do in order to enjoy autumn (been there). I think if the idea of autumn makes you happy, then you can embrace that feeling whatever your lifestyle is, even with little things each day. I have been walking a lot recently (not voluntarily most of the time, and mainly because I don't have a driving licence lol) and whilst i'm sure the novelty will wear off next month when the days are darker and the mornings are frosted, I have enjoyed walking through the leaves, breathing in the colder air and just having a moment away from my phone (bar the music playing through my iPhone) to appreciate the season that I always say I love the most, but sometimes forget to embrace.



You may remember last year, my friend Beth and I visited the pumpkin patch at Crockford Bridge Farm which sidenote: we will definitely be doing again later this month. If a field full of pumpkins of all shapes and sizes can't make you get into the changing season, then I don't know what can. But if you don't live near a pumpkin patch (hey to all my London friends) then you might want to try going on a long walk and wade through the falling leaves (before it inevitably rains here and the pavement becomes covered with an orange hued mush). I went for a walk through Regents Park with my good friend Nataly and although the park hadn't fully turned orange red and brown yet, there was still a sufficient amount of leaves, and a fresh chill in the air that made us realise that those balmy (my fave word) summer days are well and truly gone. Cue awkward photos of me trying to throw leaves in the air and look human at the same time. Nataly is an angel who is used to super glam people being professional on her shoots, yet somehow I think i provided her with a lot of entertainment in my flailing around.





Dressing for Autumn in the UK is such a task sometimes. You wake up to fog and the cold, layer up and prepare yourself for the day, but my midday the sun appears and you end up peeling off the layers and wishing you and kept those jumpers stashed away just a week longer. And footwear is the other issue! I am such a fan girl when it comes to boots, and they are my go to throughout the duration of winter for the most part. But this summer I have become even more attached to my trainer collection and with this weather sending me mixed messages, I am not quite ready to let go of the beautiful relationship we have just yet. That's where these Gola beauties come in*.



Gola is a brand that I've been lucky enough to work with before, and when they reached out to create something for the changing seasons, this pair stood out to me as being the perfect transitional piece! These ones are the Gola Bullet Suede in Black and cream, and never has a trainer felt more streamline and comfortable, perfect for running through leaves in.

Because they are black, you know that they are going to go with everything without the danger of them getting ruined in the unpredictable British weather! They are super lightweight, so they might not be the best shoes to disguise those fluffy socks we'll be cracking out as the days get colder, but the  versatile shape means that paired with jeans or the summer dress that you're just not ready to let go of yet, you know they are going to look good.



Whenever we meet up, we always have the best time chatting and taking photos and usually eating something sweet and sickly. Hence her introducing me to Chin Chin Labs in Camden Market- A nitrogen Ice cream parlour that prides itself on having the best hot chocolates in London. Now, after visiting Ruby Violet (you can find more sickly but yummy hot chocolate photos here) in Kings cross, there was some tough competition and I was fully prepared to compare one to the other. But you can't really compare the two, they are completely different.




We had the classic hot chocolate with melted and toasted marshmallow absolutely PILED on top and it was dreamy. The top is definitely a challenge and they give you a bowl which you think you don't need, but you definitely need. Trust me. Also maybe bring wipes or hand gel, that stuff is sticky.

Do you see what I mean about the marshmallow and needing a bowl and a spoon?!


RECIPIE

I'm probably not the only one who loves hot chocolate all year round let alone in autumn and winter? I didn't think so! In my house, my sister and I often make Nutella hot chocolate when we need a warm winter drink and I thought i'd include the recipe on this post in case anyone else wants to make it. I say recipe, but it's actually super easy to make and really you only have to mix two ingredients together and hope for the best. Fool proof recipes are how we roll in this house.



YOU'LL NEED:

semi-skimmed or full-fat milk (alternatively, you can use almond milk)
1 big Jar of Nutella 
Whipped cream
Cinnamon
Crushed nuts (optional)
1 whisk 
Mugs

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:

1. Melt the Nutella in a pan over a medium heat. I would say to use about 2 tablespoons per serving but that's just personal preference. Sometimes we use more! (A lot more...)

2. Fill your mugs about 3 quarters of the way with milk, leaving enough room for the whipped cream on top. 

3. Once the Nutella has melted, gently pour in the milk from each mug to the pan and stir on a low to medium heat until the milk has turned chocolatey and brown. 

4. That's it! Once its all warmed through, whisk on a high heat for 1 minute until frothy, and then take off the heat and serve with lots of whipped cream, cinnamon and chopped nuts if you fancy. Super easy and super delicious. 








However you choose to spend this month, I hope you're feeling ready for Christmas. Lol just kidding. But really, next month is kick off and I am SO READY. I hope you all are!





Jess x



Notable mentions:

Amazing photographer: Nataly Jennings Photography 

*The trainers in this post were kindly sent to me by Gola but all opinions and awkward leaf throwing shots are my own ;)






2 comments

  1. Wow! The perfect example of wherever you go, go with all your heart. Seems like you had an wonderful time in London! I'm definitely adding lots of these places and restaurants to my list soon to visit in London. During my last visit in the summer, I enjoyed tea at Sketch and loved the road trips Waterloo taxi for the road trips, sights seeing which a great traveling experience of my lifetime was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa! I've been to sketch too, so cute! Definitely check some of the places I've visited to your list- and if you want you can subscribe to my site so you'll know first about the next of my fun London adventures :) have a great day!

    ReplyDelete